Want to have a successful event? Well, choosing the right vendors is definitely a must!
Clarke Allen knows the value of choosing vendors that reflect positively on us, and successfully further our client relationships. If you are a novice event planner or DIYer, proper vetting and negotiation are essential to great event planning. Here’s what we suggest:
- Research the company’s history
- Ask for letters of reference
- Check out an event for which they are providing services
- If the service is food/beverage ask for a pre-event tasting
- Ask for a proposal that includes:
- A complete description of service
- A list of equipment vendor provides
- Any additional services
- Costs and payment terms
- Insurance information/risk management plans
- Vendor necessities you must provide
Many people do not realize that everything in life is negotiable. Many vendors have a deposit amount that is standard in their contracts. You can actually negotiate a lower deposit. Try offering to pay in full before the event in exchange for a lower deposit amount or event a discount on services for paying in advance.
Be a savvy question asker and always make sure that you:
- Compare apples to apples when looking at vendors and don’t ever be afraid to request that vendors “match prices” for the same services
- Get itemized pricing
- Can get to someone when you need them–choose a company that makes communication a priority and can help guide you to a successful event
- Inquire about staffing and coordination/set-up and strike
Your successful event is truly dependant on the professionals you choose who come together to create not just an nice event, but a memorable experience for everyone.